Saturday, October 2, 2010

One Art

I started reading a new book that I picked up from the “free book” shelf at school the other day, and I opened it up to the first page and found this poem (here is an excerpt):




The art of losing isn't hard to master;
so many things seem filled with the intent
to be lost that their loss is no disaster,

Lose something every day. Accept the fluster
of lost door keys, the hour badly spent.
The art of losing isn't hard to master.

Then practice losing farther, losing faster:
places, and names, and where it was you meant
to travel. None of these will bring disaster.



I thought that fit perfectly with the weekend we had last weekend.



Tomorrow marks my one month anniversary in Italy! Yesterday we took a class trip to Lucca for the day. It was absolutely beautiful. It was actually just like Siena, but with cheaper shopping. It's famous for bike riding, and we took a two hour long ride, and half way through it started raining:



After the bike ride and lunch, we went to the gardens, which made me feel like I was in London instead of Italy. I loved the gardens so much, that I'm considering suggesting Lucca to my family for where we'll stay for Christmas.



Today I woke up with a sore throat and the sniffles. I was really hoping I'd make it through this program without having to expore the medical system in italy, but I guess I might not make it. Today we're going to another Siena soccer game, and it's also Siena's Oktoberfest, but we'll see if I make it to that! I'm kind of just in the mood to read an relax. It's so cold here. I still need more jackets....

1 comment:

  1. Now you're quoting poetry. This isn't the daughter I sent to Italy! I thought you were going to Amsterdam this weekend.

    ReplyDelete